Yes, seriously, my kids beg me to make this broccoli, at least once every week. The original recipe was at amateurgourmet.com (pictures there too), and he adapted it from The Barefoot Contessa. The originals used lemon zest and fresh basil, but I have not tried either of those in this recipe yet.
- 1 head chopped broccoli or one bag (Trader Joes has a bag of organic broccoli that feeds my family of 4) Here is a link to the benefits of broccoli. It has lots of Vitamin C!
- olive oil or coconut oil (there is debate about whether olive oil should be used for high heat) and s&p (sea salt, not the processed white stuff)
- 4 or 5 garlic cloves, whole or sliced (I leave mine whole because my daughter likes to eat them that way) See this link to read why garlic is super duper healthy for you! Use as much as you can handle in this recipe!
- lemon (juice from about a fourth of one lemon). See my post on lemons if you want to know health benefits. You can certainly use more lemon if you like, but we prefer it light on the lemon taste.
- 1/3 cup (or as much as you can handle!) grated Parmesan cheese (the good stuff, not the kind you shake out of a green container. bleh.) I use raw milk parmesan from Trader Joes. See this link for a video on what raw milk cheese is and its health benefits. You can also search that site for much more information on raw milk.
- Heat oven to 425
- Line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper (this can get messy!)
- Spread your broccoli florets and garlic cloves & cover with oil and s&p
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Yes, the edges of the broccoli are supposed to get a tad brown and crispy! Remove from oven and immediately squeeze lemon juice over it, then sprinkle cheese on top. Add more oil and s&p to taste. Serve while it’s hot!
That’s it! Get ready to have a family who begs for broccoli, and be prepared to make some more soon! If you want to print this without all my commentary, use the Print Friendly button below.